- Pathfinder

Reply To: Did any of the similarities or differences between Christian and Jewish theology surprise you? If so, which/why?

Participant

Personally, the eight theological topics surprised me, not in the way of being misinformed but in a surprising way to see the similarities listed out closely. Knowing that the Christian Faith is the fulfillment of the Jewish faith, it’s still cool to see exactly where we continue from. For example, Traditionalist Jews referring to the original letters in the Torah being from G-d, while Catholics also remain consistent with the original visions of the apostles, while still acknowledging the changing times. Another example is religious practices. While Protestant and Catholics are divided on the practices to this day, speaking as a Catholic myself, when I attend Mass (in which the bread becomes the Body of Christ), it is the Last Supper happening before our eyes. However, the act of Jesus breaking the bread stems from the Jewish customs of breaking bread during Shabbat to begin the meal. Although, I was aware of most of these things, to have the similarities listed in front of me was eye-opening.