Do you think the U.S. should assist in mediating negotiations toward a resolution in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict? Why or why not? - Pathfinder

Do you think the U.S. should assist in mediating negotiations toward a resolution in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict? Why or why not?

Topic

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      pathfinderlms
      Keymaster
      Haley Blauch
      Participant

I think that the US should assist in mediating negotiations toward a resolution in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Throughout history the US has both slacked off and taken intense approaches and the result is even more complication. In terms of the two state v. one state approach, I am not sure what to suggest, because there are flaws and complications in both approaches. It is important to remember through the process though is that we don’t fall into Jerusalem syndrome, which for Americans comes when we think that we can save the world. Something that I think is important to remember is that in our foreign policy we should listen and learn and not feed into antisematic beliefs that for long have plagued the US and our foreign policy.

Dan Harre
        Participant

Haley, I completely agree with your point that the U.S. has an unhealthy tendency to adopt a messianic foreign policy whereby we attempt to save the world. While we should strive to be a force for good, we simply don’t have the assets or the divine appointment to be God’s savior to the world. That responsibility and right is for God alone.

Mitchell Schwab
        Participant

I think yes and no to this question. It depends on the current leadership and the foreign policy application at the time of mediation. It seems that the mediation technique changes every 2-4 years and is dependent on the political pendulum. I feel the United States has the potential to mediate in the most powerful way, but I do not trust our leaders to mediate in the right way. It seems that for every zionist there are three anti-semites waiting to pounce at the first discussion about Israeli-Palestinian relations.

Dan Harre
      Participant

I think that U.S. mediation should be predicated on a genuine desire by the Israelis and the PA to come to the table and reach a deal. Today, that desire is very much in doubt. While both sides are certainly exhausted by the ongoing conflict, there are signs of retrenchment. Under the leadership of former PM Netanyahu, the rightward drift of Israel empowered and popularized its settler movement. Stronger Israeli backing for settler communities in the West Bank will only complicate mediation efforts. The PA, for its part, still suffers from endemic corruption and political pressure from a constituency that has shown a willingness to abandon PM Abbas for the more radical Hamas.

If these conditions do not change, I fear that U.S. mediation efforts toward a long-term peace deal are futile.

Gabriel Gonzalez
        Participant

Hello
        Reading your comments I do not think there is any problem with Jews building homes in the West Bank, I do think Israel should assist in building housing for some Arab populations in the West Bank. Their are also apartments building projects in the West Bank/ Judea/ Samaria built by the PA for housing but many Arabs do not live in them I do not know why but I can further research that.
        I do agree that the internal divisions with the Arabs of the Post Palestinian Mandate are very divided in Gaza and West Bank.
        Also the many refugee population in the border nations. But going into the future there will be a moment that will unit the Arab world once again for the Arabs of Israel most likely after the War with Iran.

Gabriel Gonzalez
        Participant

Hello
        Reading your comments I do not think there is any problem with Jews building homes in the West Bank, I do think Israel should assist in building housing for some Arab populations in the West Bank. Their are also apartments building projects in the West Bank/ Judea/ Samaria built by the PA for housing but many Arabs do not live in them I do not know why but I can further research that.
        I do agree that the internal divisions with the Arabs of the Post Palestinian Mandate are very divided in Gaza and West Bank.
        Also the many refugee population in the border nations. But going into the future there will be a moment that will unit the Arab world once again for the Arabs of Israel most likely after the War with Iran.

Denise DeVatt
        Participant

Dan,
        I agree with you! The problems that face the US through PA corruption, Hamas, and Israel settlers is a large driving force behind the intractability of the conflict. I also strongly agree that any pushes for peace from the United States wouldn’t be fruitful unless all sides hope for peace as well. When the US does get involved with states that want peace with Israel (Abraham Accords), it works out for all!
        I want to add one more thing that you can think about as well as everything else that you mentioned; the United States has a very limited understanding of the water conflict in the region as we face no such thing here, and I think that until we take into account that water allocation is mentioned in almost every peace deal that Israel reaches, we are just going to be spinning ourselves into circles. There will be no peace in the region until water allocation is agreed upon first. Thanks for sharing!

Gabriel Gonzalez
      Participant

US Diplomacy should always play a role in security and peace in all parts of the world. Why in Israel and Palestine? When the United States gets involved its able to push nations states out of the diplomatic role that have ulterior motive against American Allies.
      Mediating negotiations is key for brining stability and peace to a volatile region. The US could use leverages that other nations states do not posses for example, food aid, money, and political pressure.
      In the years past since the found of Israel the US has been growing in its diplomatic role in Israel and the Near East.
      The wars that came as a result in the founding of the nation state Israel and a Cold War world propelled the United States to play a active diplomatic and military role in the region by making new allies in the region.
      As far as creating a resolution or solving the problem of land, peace, and nation states. This will not be solved within one Presidential administration. But the US needs to keep certain objectives, purpose, goals and stop flip flopping goals in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

I do believe the US should assist in mediating negotiations towards a resolution in this conflict, simply because the US is a superpower and has the ability and means to actually make progress in this situation. Without a third party assisting with the mediation, Israel and Palestine will never be able to reach any settlement because of the intense hostility between them, which has gone on for decades. The downside of the mediator being the US, however, is that many individuals see the US as biased towards Israel due to its Christian heritage and the influence that the church has historically had on US politics. This makes it difficult for them to appeal to the Palestinians to reach a peace settlement when the Arabs view the US as a party that will not be seeking their best interests. The challenge here would be for the US to try to come in as an unbiased mediator in order to be successful in the diplomatic process.

Dan Harre
      Participant

Sarah, I agree that any mediation effort needs to be well-informed and nuanced. A simplistic approach that lacks deep cultural, religious, and political awareness is doomed to fail. While I do think a comprehensive peace deal is extremely unlikely at this time, the U.S. might find success in mediating smaller disputes between the two sides.

Gabriel Gonzalez
      Participant

I agree to many times Israel is framed by the UN as an oppressive nation state. Therefore the US should have a active role in the diplomatic process. By being consistent in diplomatic talks will gain favor amongst other nation states. However if the US fails in the Iran Deal, I think Israel will not want the US involved in talks in regards to Palestine. The processes of diplomatic talks will continue to take time but I feel that many times Democratic administrations force Isreal to the negotiation table with terms that do not benefits the nation and they favor Palestinian causes that create political unrest within the occupied territories

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.