- Pathfinder

Reply To: How, if at all, will you take the information you’ve learned in this course and apply it to how you read and interpret scripture? What, if anything, will you pass along to your own community?

Participant

Traditionally, individual Bible study has been the norm. However, understanding the historical context and the communal nature of scripture, as practiced throughout most of Christian history, opens doors to a richer understanding.
Instead of solitary study, I’ll prioritize discussing scripture with my faith community. By holding each other accountable to the text’s original Hebrew context and engaging in open debate, mirroring the vibrant discussions in synagogues like those Paul participated in, we can arrive at a more nuanced interpretation. This isn’t about abandoning personal reflection, but rather enriching it with the insights of others.
Furthermore, I plan to share these insights with my community. Encouraging communal reading and discussion groups will foster a more vibrant and engaged faith life for all. There is a depth of understanding that can emerge when we come together, collectively, and grapple with the complexities of scripture, just as early Believers did! By embracing this communal approach, we ensure that the message of the Bible continues to resonate with future generations. It also provide a natural check-and-balance as we study the scriptures.