- Pathfinder

Reply To: In Lecture 2, Dr. Dru Johnson mentions that there has been a decline in biblical literacy in the Church. After taking this course, what are some recommendations you would give to church leadership to increase biblical literacy?

Participant

For one, I was impacted by the notion that a daily quiet time could actually take away from biblical literacy, though it’s meant to help. That makes me think that one way to increase biblical literacy is teaching an overview to bring familiarity with the various genres of the Bible.

The question of looking at a book as if it’s narrative – how would you read it, the memorial characters, events & themes, conflicts and resolutions v. how you would read a non-narrative book and it’s main argument, supporting arguments and key conclusions was so key. I think this then informs how we read different parts of the Bible.

I also liked to question of starting with what questions you already have as a launch pad to dive into the Bible.

I also think to encourage and perhaps model taking significant chunks of the Bible to be read in one sitting is an alternative or addition to a more divided daily devotional reading.

Last, I also think encouraging reading/hearing the extended narratives of the Hebrew Bible as a whole and then seeking to hyperlink the New Testament texts back to the Hebrew Scriptures they reference when teaching would be very helpful, recognizing that what we call the Old Testament was the Bible that Jesus and the apostles had as they lived and taught.