- Pathfinder

Reply To: In Lecture 2, Dr. Dru Johnson mentions that there has been a decline in biblical literacy in the Church. After taking this course, what are some recommendations you would give to church leadership to increase biblical literacy?

Participant

I very much agree with this sentiment that there has been a decline in biblical literacy within the Church. As many of the above mentioned, there has been a dramatic decline in literacy not only of the faith and dogma within the Catholic Church, but specifically of Scripture. As someone who was born and raised Roman Catholic, I have noticed in conversation with Christian peers of mine that I do not have the same understanding of or enthusiasm towards the Scriptures as they do – simply because I am not as well versed. After taking this course, I would echo much of what was said above, that Church leaders should emphasize there is this decline so that Church members can see and try to change this. As a part of church leadership, I would try to seek out those within my community who were well-versed, or who had a particular passion for the Bible and ask them to assist in creating Bible studies, formation groups, or whatever that might be, to advance understanding of and commitment to Biblical literacy. I think promoting courses such as Pathfinder would be huge in this process, as would engaging in discussion on the Bible, Scripture passages, and more. Ultimately, if Church leaders are truly pushing for increased engagement with and understanding of Biblical texts I think mass change could come from this amplified dialogue and awareness.