- Pathfinder

Reply To: In Lecture 2, Dr. Dru Johnson mentions that there has been a decline in biblical literacy in the Church. After taking this course, what are some recommendations you would give to church leadership to increase biblical literacy?

Participant

I totally agree that there is a lack of bible literacy in the western church today. I have been to many bible studies where people have made many statements that were entirely unbiblical, and to my shock no one stepped in to correct them. On that note the first piece of advice I would give is that church leaders should strongly encourage their congregating to meet in regular group bible studies and should ensure there is trusted member to lead and facilitate that study who has the courage to step in and correct. Next is the obvious church leaders should emphasize the importance of studying the Bible, not just reading it (which is good also) but truly studying it. Looking at commentary, looking into Greek and Hebrew words and meanings, studying the culture and period of time the Scriptures were written in to truly get a full understanding. Church leaders should provide resources and trainings on how to study the Bible.