- Pathfinder

Reply To: In Lecture 2, Dr. Dru Johnson mentions that there has been a decline in biblical literacy in the Church. After taking this course, what are some recommendations you would give to church leadership to increase biblical literacy?

Participant

I agree. I see that even within my own church where the pastor is struggling to have the congregation read the bible. I would recommend that pastors first pray for their congregation to have the Lord open the eyes of the congregation to the fullness and the revelation of the Word of God. Then, I would suggest that the church to create some examples of what bible literacy looks like through consistent bible studies to help the church maintain a rhythm of first being in God’s Word and then diving deeper. I would also recommend that pastors help diagnose what is going on in the heart of the congregation if there is a reason why the congregation is not literate in the Bible. Lastly, I think the church leadership should continue to set an example by first being Bible literate and then start training leaders at the church to be Bible literate. After, the other church leaders (bible study leaders) can help.