- Pathfinder

Reply To: In the first lecture, Dr. McDermott teaches that the Bible is one story, and that God upholds his covenant with the Jewish people to this very day. Was this what you were taught growing up? If not, how will this insight change the way you read the bible going forward?

Emily Cope
Participant

Growing up, I did learn that the Bible is one continuing story. However, the emphasis was not always on the Jews so much as I learned in Sunday school and from various pastors that the “Abrahamic Covenant” has implications for today’s Christians, God’s new covenant, and part of his story to deliver a Messiah. In church, I only ever heard vague references to God’s covenant with the Jews as His chosen people, but I never really understood what that meant in practice. Dwelling on this insight and learning more about God’s covenant with the Jews will give me a greater appreciation for the Bible as a whole – and not merely as distinct or even disparate stories between the Old and New Testaments. I will also be more aware of how the New Testament references the Jews and God’s continued plan and promise to Israel.