- Pathfinder

Reply To: In Lecture 2, Dr. Dru Johnson mentions that there has been a decline in biblical literacy in the Church. After taking this course, what are some recommendations you would give to church leadership to increase biblical literacy?

I was really surprised by the number of people that ar biblical illiterate. But then I did some research and in my country Brazil the situation is worst than America. in America 80% of christians are considered biblical illiterate, in Brazil 80% of the pastors have never read the whole bible. It’s truly chocking, specially coming from a community that this is encouraged since the cradle. My Son is 8 years old and he is finishing to read the whole bible for the first time. my 5 year old will soon start his journey. Since my conversion 14 years ago I have read through the whole bible more than 20 times. We do it annually with the kids, every day we seat together for 30-40 minutes and read it together. I know this is not the reality for the majority of Christians, but again I was shocked by the number. My father in law has for many years influence a number of people in Brazil to read the whole bible, always. SO in our community we are committed to do that at least once a year. In that way we are able to get not only bible literacy, but also bible fluency. my recommendation to leaders is to follow my father in law advise and instruct their churches to do the same: “read the whole bible, always!”.