- Pathfinder

Reply To: Have you ever been told that supporting Israel prevents you from supporting Palestinians? After taking this course, how would you go about responding to false accusations like this?

Janey Olohan
Participant

Jonathan, your response is exactly the conclusion I have drawn on this topic that ultimately to support Israel could cause some to believe this means supporting the death of civilians — though it could not be further from the case. I think there is a strong emotional element at play here when a person sees photos of those who are injured and killed by Palestinians in a war, and I understand why someone, as you stated so eloquently, would question a person who supported the state that is inflicting said injuries. However, as you noted, this would be failing to ask questions about why Israel is involved in the first place In this war, how these casualties came about, how support for a cause does not mean support for human rights abuses, and so much more. This is a highly complex topic, yet one that I think is so vital to unpack in light of these ongoing events.