- Pathfinder

Reply To: In the first lecture, Dr. McDermott teaches that the Bible is one story, and that God upholds his covenant with the Jewish people to this very day. Was this what you were taught growing up? If not, how will this insight change the way you read the bible going forward?

I grew up in a church that thought and speak little about the jewish roots of the faith. There were many elements in the church doctrine and theology that would be very superssesionist and consider only the church as the people of God and there was also times that we were taught empathy and compassion towards the jews. I remember as a very little child watching the Hiding Place and knowing that they were persecuted because they were the people of God. It was not until my late 20’s around 15 years ago that I was introduced to a messianic jewish preacher that taught me in the same lines as Dr. McDermott that my whole world was revolutionised. I came back to the Lord after years of straying away, just by learning that we will not go to heaven to float in a cloud forever, but the king is coming back to Jerusalem to restore the whole earth to an edenic like reality. Since them, I’ve being reading the Bible with and hebraic worldview and that changes how I serve my church, how I raise my family and how we disciple people. Today I am living in a Middle Eastern country with my family and we are working to make disciples of the Jewish messiah among the peoples of the Near East.