- Pathfinder

Reply To: How, if at all, did this course shape or change your perception of the ongoing Syrian Civil War?

Amanda Peterson
Participant

Something I’ve taken away from this course in regards to the ongoing Syrian Civil War is that it’s a good thing the US is no longer trying to actively push democracies in the Middle East, because quite frankly they do not work. Syria is a prime example. Another thing I’ve thought a lot about is that Russia’s involvement propping up the Assad regime is a recipe for disaster. Keeping the Assad regime in power is probably for the best, because it would promote stability more than any other option, but every time Russia involves itself in the Middle East, things get significantly worse. Watching the Kremlin and their involvement in the Middle East is essential, and countering their influence is absolutely within US national security interests and Middle Eastern security interests. Overall, keeping countries like Syria stable and countering jihadist groups is in the best interest of Israel’s national security, which is the most important thing to me.