- Pathfinder

Reply To: Have you ever been told that supporting Israel prevents you from supporting Palestinians? After taking this course, how would you go about responding to false accusations like this?

Amanda Peterson
Participant

I do feel that I have been told that I cannot support both Israel and Palestinians. Their conclusion is that because Palestinians are “dying”, therefore, one cannot support the people killing them. I think this speaks to the biased nature in which Arabs and Muslims particularly view the Arab-Israeli conflict. Within my time in Israel and as an advocate for Israel, I have constantly maintained that I want Palestinians in both Judea & Samaria and Gaza to live prosperous, peaceful lives. I cannot, however, condemn all “killings” because some (when against terrorists) are justified. The pro-Palestinians believe the terrorists are engaging in resistance, and therefore their violence is justified. Informed by my Christian faith, I understand that murder is illegal, while killing for self defense is allowed. Therefore, I feel I am able to support both Israel and innocent Palestinians at once. I would point to the article from 2013 by Robert Nicholson when talking about false accusations, and turn the pro-Palestinians on their head: why should Israel have to give more when they are under attack constantly by Palestinian terror groups? They’ve given up a lot in the past, and the terrorism doesn’t stop. I would then reiterate that in order for Palestinians to live peaceful and prosperous lives, they have more work to do on their own governance in order to give Palestinians those rights than Israel can currently do for them.