- Pathfinder

Reply To: In the first lecture, Dr. McDermott teaches that the Bible is one story, and that God upholds his covenant with the Jewish people to this very day. Was this what you were taught growing up? If not, how will this insight change the way you read the bible going forward?

Participant

I don’t remember not being taught that but it wasn’t something that was brought up either. I was more being taught that faith produces works through God’s grace and salvation and to read the whole bible. I never really thought the land was literal I took it as a metaphor not because anyone told me to so it was a false assumption I made myself. Because I thought heaven would come down to the earth I’m not sure why I thought this, I read too fast and jump to conclusions sometimes. The course, what I learned taking it, will make me read the Old Testament more thoroughly and watch events in Israel even more. It makes me realize how important Israel is before becoming a Christian, i converted in my mid twenties so I couldn’t before then understand why there was fighting in the Near East, I understand it more now reading g the Old Testament and because of this course why so many people feel a deep spiritual connection to Israel.