- Pathfinder

Reply To: In the first lecture, Dr. McDermott teaches that the Bible is one story, and that God upholds his covenant with the Jewish people to this very day. Was this what you were taught growing up? If not, how will this insight change the way you read the bible going forward?

James Dean
Participant

I was taught from the Baptist tradition that Christ was the New Covenant and He was the only way. Replacement theology was very present that we were the New Israel and the Jews had to accept Christ or miss heaven. Through my own studies of the Bible, I began to see this was not true. Studies led me to the early Church fathers and then into the Catholic Church. Here I began to learn more about how God has not revoked His Covenant and how we are grafted into Israel not the other way around. I have recently collaborated with a Catholic Community that has a movement toward a renewed Vision of Israel and the Church and believe I have been called, by revelation, to help bridge and build this Vision. We have studied Rabbi Mark Kinzer’s books on “Post Messianic Judaism” and “Nostre Aetate: Searching her own Mystery”. Also been involved in studies and books with Fr. Peter Hocken and other cardinals of the Church who also have the Vision. I recently took Courses at a Catholic Seminary in light of this New Evangelization for the Church to return to her Jewish Roots. I am dedicated to this calling.