- Pathfinder

Reply To: How did this course shape or change your perceptions of the modern Near East as a whole?

Hailey Hancock
Participant

After taking this course, I am able to have a more holistic view of conflicts taking place in the middle east. Many Americans hear the phrase “middle east conflict” and may be able to name one conflict, such as the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. I realized that conflict in the middle east is much more complex than I had before. Many of these conflicts rise out of religious affiliations, economic interests, and access to natural resources. Right now, one of the biggest issues that would affect the Near East is Iran’s attempt to obtain a nuclear weapon. If Iran seizes this, their intention would be to wipe out the State of Israel. Iran would also target Sunni Arab countries. Besides this conflict, we should keep a close eye on the conflict taking place between Turkey and the PKK as well as the Syrian war. After taking this course and learning about groups, allies, and power dynamics, I realized that the “Near East” is nearer than I had previously thought.