- Pathfinder

Reply To: Analyze one of the supplementary Bible passages in light of the course content. Do you see evidence of the Hebraic map? Did anything about the passage surprise you? Was there any part of the passage that stuck out to you in particular?

Alexandra Adair
Participant

What stuck out to me the most was the wisdom that Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah received after choosing not to eat the king’s rich food and to survive on vegetables. There is so much depth in the fact that choosing to live in a different way than others leads to divine wisdom. Mr. Nicholson talks about how the Barbaric map seeks power, the Hellenic map seeks reasoning, and the Hebraic map seeks the wisdom that begins with the fear of God. I’ve been reading Daniel recently and debating doing the “Daniel fast” because of the faithfulness Daniel exhibited when he chose not to treat himself with the luxurious food provided by the king. It was seriously surprising that through depriving himself and experiencing struggle he was able to gain wisdom, not to mention that he was stronger than the others! In this instance, Daniel was displaying the characteristics of a Hebraic leader through suffering. As a nutrition major, the idea that he only had to eat vegetables to be stronger and healthier than everyone else stood out to me the most. I know the power of full and hearty meals! But I also know the power of my God.