- Pathfinder

Reply To: How can you work to combat antisemitism and supersessionism in your own Christian community?

Griffin Weiss
Participant

To best combat antisemitism and supersessionism in my own community, I think that the answer has to be open, two-sided conversations. Education, reading, and news/media engagement are all important to different degrees, but we tend to not get anywhere if we are not a community that is talking about the hard things. For me, several years ago, I was very ignorant about much of the nuance and detail in the history of the modern Israeli state and the Arab-Israeli conflict. Having coffee with a friend one Saturday, somehow it got brought up, and he, being well-versed on the matter and living in the Near East for a time as well, was very gracious in challenging some of my misconceptions, listening to what I thought as well, and plainly having an important conversation. He couldn’t explain every detail to me, and he knew that would be fruitless, so instead of trying that or just sharing his opinions, he just tried to give me a different perspective and launched me into a journey of learning and many more conversations. I think these types of moments are the best way to impact my local community.