- Pathfinder

Reply To: Have you ever been told that supporting Israel prevents you from supporting Palestinians? After taking this course, how would you go about responding to false accusations like this?

Joshua Johnson
Participant

Hi Katelyn, thanks for sharing! I liked your point about how people might assume you have blind support for Israel, or think you don’t care for Palestinian people. I think this is such a common assumption, and it’s sad! I agree it’s definitely important to distinguish between the welfare of Palestinian people and Palestinian oversight or governance, just as we distinguish between American people and U.S. government. How come in the Middle East, much is conflated? People have a hard time distinguishing between the interests of Israeli citizens and Israeli government actions or policies. They are not the same, which we understand for our case, but suddenly when it comes to the Middle East, we assume it’s all the same, and we lump all Middle Easterners together as well. I think part of this has to do with the media, which due to time constraints, can only report on so much. They create straw men of both sides, which is quite wrong. I think the solution is education (the Philos Project!) to teach people the complexity and nuance of the situation! Arab Christians are not Arab Muslims are not Arabic-speaking Jews are not Syriac-speakers, etc. The full picture is much more rich, and there are hundreds of different groups with a stake involved!