- Pathfinder

Reply To: Why is it important for Christians to keep the sad history of Christian antisemitism in mind when responding to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict in the present?

Devin Humphreys
Participant

I appreciate the portion of your response where you unpack the issues with historical developments like the Sykes-Picot Agreement, but as far as the second portion of your response (discussing the Christian’s potential role as a mediator in this conflict), I would encourage you to dig a little deeper. Advocating a neutral role from Christians certainly sounds appealing, but I think the same historical conditions that led Christian antisemitism to run so rampant for centuries make it nearly impossible for the Christian’s role in this conflict to be fully neutral. Indeed, I think the only way for us truly not to assert the “sense of superiority” you discuss in your reflection is to remember what Prof. Nicholson said about owning our bias – we have as vested an interest in this conflict as those on the ground in the region, because for us as for them, Jerusalem is our center.