- Pathfinder

Reply To: How should we deal with the topic of the Crusades, both in our own thinking and in engagement with Muslims?

Jamila White
Participant

Mary,

The response I would provide is in my post so I can refer you to my post listed in this discussion. In any case, I have been observing a misunderstanding of true born again disciples of Christ and those that were never with Christ in their heart, which Scripture speaks of in Isaiah 29:13 and Matthew 15:8. I had an amazing dialogue with a Muslim physician who had a better understanding of the Crusades and other acts in history, such as the slave masters using the Bible to justify slavery. Should every American Christian take responsibility and hold on to this? As a descendant of the tribe of West Africans that was taken to this country for enslavement, I know that these slave masters were either deceived or never were with Christ and served as agents of the adversary. Since giving my life to Christ in college, I have learned to revisit history. I learned that what I often taught was not necessarily the entire story or truth. I learned how to research the research presented to me. Above all, I learned how to use the Holy Spirit for discernment in topics such as this. After many conversations with Muslims, many of them I met, have expressed seeking true hope, peace, and rest for their souls. The Crusades is often brought up as a blocker of the Gospel. Once I got past this after respectful but truthful dialogue, I was able to share my faith with them and they in return, looked differently (in a good way) at Christ and the Gospel.

Jamila