- Pathfinder

Reply To: What are 3 tangible ways that you can personally improve your relationships with Christians from other traditions?

Jamila White
Participant

Three tangible ways I can personally improve my relationships with other believers in the Christian faith from other traditions are the following: 1) Reach out and begin to establish a personal relationship built on trust and understanding; 2) Extend an invitation for an open dialogue about our faith; 3) Visit worship service with them and extend invitation for dialogue after. I have recently come into contact with a lot of Christians who have attended predominantly African descent of black churches. I would not place all of these churches into Pentecostalism tradition. I was able to have a great dialogue with someone recently who has never seen expressive forms of worship. By expressive, I am referring to dancing, clapping, use of various instruments. I informed this person that black American Christians often have expressive worship due to our African descent as well as the use of spiritual hymns sung in slavery times. Our dialogue consisted of learning the importance of cultural context behind worship and traditions before jumping to assumptions. Needless to say, honest dialogue is key to improving relationships with one another.

Jamila