- Pathfinder

Reply To: After taking this course, in your own words, please define Hebraic leadership and what it means to you.

Devin Humphreys
Participant

Before taking this course, I considered the Christian’s leadership role in the public sphere to be grounded mainly in the response Jesus gives to the Pharisees who ask whether they should be paying taxes to Rome: “Repay to Caesar what belongs to Caesar and to God what belongs to God” (Mk 12:17, NABRE). While this is certainly a true (if partial) reflection of the Christian’s role in the secular sphere, there are three things this Pathfinder course on Hebraic leadership has emphasized that I will take away from the course:

1. Hebraic leadership remembers where we came from. While the Acts of the Apostles makes it clear that Jewish ceremony and Jewish law are no longer a mandatory part of the Christian religious tradition, we still need to center ourselves on at least the metaphorical Jerusalem to truly understand the roots of our Christian faith.

2. Hebraic leadership does not fear using neutral tools for good ends. When Jesus says “my kingdom does not belong to this world”, it is less a rejection of worldly power than a recognition that His *absolute* power is heavenly in nature. We can use worldly power to achieve proximate goods while still keeping our eyes focused on that Kingdom which is to come.

3. Our sphere of faith and political sphere, while they do not intersect, should (and perhaps even must) inform each other if we are to exemplify Hebraic leadership.

With these three takeaways in mind, I look forward to continuing my wider involvement with the Pathfinder community!