- Pathfinder

Reply To: What is one tangible way that you plan to exhibit Hebraic leadership in your own neighborhood after taking this course?

Joshua Johnson
Participant

Dear Tina, I am reminded of a Bible study I led about ten years ago, and I had a young man from an Asian nation. He really loved to hear about Jesus and study the gospels with us, but I was saddened by the fact that he was being held back by one particular notion: he was concerned that if embraced Christ and Christianity, he would have to give up his ancestors. I am not sure how large a role ancestor worship played, but it seemed to be something holding him back. I wish I had the wisdom to explain that he was not really giving up, he was gaining something new and so much better, and that he could still honor his ancestors in the sense of honor your father and mother and respecting one’s heritage. I hope that he found a way through that conflict, but it was a sad moment to see something like that be a stumbling block.
I also have a humorous anecdote. When we were studying the Gospel of John, and John the Baptist declares of Jesus, “Behold, the lamb of God!” the student asked, “Did he take on the avatar of a lamb, or something like that?” I will never forget that, it brings a smile to my face.