- Pathfinder

Reply To: In the first lecture, Dr. McDermott teaches that the Bible is one story, and that God upholds his covenant with the Jewish people to this very day. Was this what you were taught growing up? If not, how will this insight change the way you read the bible going forward?

Nathan Alvarez
Participant

Thinking about it now, I was always taught that God had fulfilled His covenant with the Jewish people through Christ, and that modern Jews did not accept or believe in this fulfillment. It was never presented so much as God turning His back on the Jewish people, but rather just a difference in opinion. However, a friend’s father, of a different Christian denomination from myself, was the first to present to me the idea that God still upholds His covenant with the Jews to this day. It was the first time I distinctly remember thinking that God “has a plan,” so to speak, for the Jews in the modern world, and that God desires to continue to uphold His covenant with the Jews even 2,000 years after the death and resurrection of Christ. Going forward, reading the Bible must, for me, be about reading the story of salvation history through both Christian and Jewish lenses–that these can both coexist.