- Pathfinder

Reply To: Why is it important for Christians to keep the sad history of Christian antisemitism in mind when responding to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict in the present?

Dominique Hoffman
Participant

My background in International Affairs and getting my Masters with an emphasis on human rights had similar crossovers to this course. My favorite professor and mentor in college is a strong Christian woman, she always placed an emphasis on the plight of the Jewish people prior to the Holocaust. Anti-semitism has a long history in Europe. Dating back to important Catholic Church leaders like John Chrysostom who preached what would become known as Supersessionism/Replacement theology. The famed Reformation religious figure Martin Luther in his book “The Jews and their Lies” perpetuated hatred against Jews as “Christ killers,” encouraging pogroms against the Jews which would be carried out in a similar fashion by the Nazis centuries later. When the Nazis codified discrimination against the Jews in 1935 through a series of legislations such as the Nuremberg laws the world took note and largely did nothing. Even when the discrimination intensified, as cited in this lecture, in 1938 after the Nazis annexed Poland the Evian Conference did little to nothing to help the Jews. After the Holocaust the world vowed to “never forget”… and here we are, already forgotten. As a Christian I feel the responsibility to make sure the Christian community never forgets to protect and support the Jewish people, the long history of Christian anti-Semitism hurts my soul and is a stain on our collective past. Supporting Israel and a land for the Jewish people, a home to protect them from another Holocaust, is so important for the Jewish identity. To be pro-Israel is not anti-Palisitnian. Having been to Israel many times, I am convinced that the only way for peace in the region is through the plurality and tenants of our Christian faith. The only thing, is all sides must value these ideas and currently Palestine does not but I have faith that a new generation could turn the tides and as Christians it is also our role to pray for those leaders.