- Pathfinder

Reply To: Have you ever been told that supporting Israel prevents you from supporting Palestinians? After taking this course, how would you go about responding to false accusations like this?

Hi Ashley,

This is a really interesting take – particularly your question of do we need to condone every step of action taken by someone just because they belong to the Jewish faith. I struggled with this too because while I understood the importance of supporting our Jewish brothers and sisters, there were times I found it difficult to support some of the actions they took during the conflict that led to bloodshed and the loss of innocent lives. How can I say that I love people if I turn a blind eye to the suffering of the Arab people and only focus on the suffering of the Jews? From a big picture perspective, I understand what Israel is doing and support their vision because of my biblical foundation. However, my heart hurts for all the suffering that I am seeing on BOTH sides. I also relate to you on the societal pressures to side with Palestine, especially as a person of color. This conflict is far more complex than the media and society make it out to be, especially considering the history behind the conflict, and picking one side is not the answer and neither is just staying neutral.