- Pathfinder

Reply To: What are 3 tangible ways that you can personally improve your relationships with Christians from other traditions?

One way to improve my relationship with Christians from other traditions is to ask questions in a safe, non-judgmental place. For example, I am a Roman Catholic, and I interviewed three Chaldean students at my university for a class. It was amazing! Conversing with each of them was very easy. We found that we had so much in common. As it was an interview, I typically asked questions of interest, and I was surprised to see how eager my interviewees were to respond. When I finished one interview, one student asked, “Is that it?” It was, but the student offered to help me with anything I may need for my class project.
A second way to improve my relationship with Christian traditions is to travel right where the many traditions are! For example, when I was in the Holy Land and visited the Holy Sepulcher, there were several different Christian traditions. I loved listening to the Byzantines chant and as our professor said, I love incense!
A third way to improve my relationship with other Christians from other traditions is to pray. I am a very strong believer in the power of prayer. I actually have an Orthodox icon in my room and candles, an oil lamp, and incense to get myself into a disposition of prayer. I firmly believe that we cannot improve our relationships without praying to God–the same God of many other Christian rites.