- Pathfinder

Reply To: Have you ever consciously or subconsciously used your faith to examine foreign policy? Was it harmful or helpful? Please elaborate.

Michaela Todd
Participant

It has only been within the past couple of years that I’ve consciously recognized that if I truly want to live out my faith in Christ, it must be reflected in all aspects of where I stand on issues – especially now that I’m working in a position that touches public policy every day. I know that as Christians we are called to be a light in the world, to love all of God’s precious creations that He made in his image, and we are also called to be a mighty force in the world with Christ in us. Putting that mindset into political and foreign policy is jarring to me, and I think it is because the United States government and political sphere has drifted from our founding principles that reflect the views of Christianity. As Professor Mead said in the conclusion of this course, America has become devastatingly divided and views all issues in extremes on both the Left and the Right. God calls us to be contributing members of society and to be in the world living in Christ – and that most certainly pertains to participating in government roles. We are called to be disciples and to spread the Gospel across all nations, therefore Christians need to be involved in foreign policy. The big question is, how? That is what I am growing in and appreciate the courses in Philos providing information and different perspectives on the subject.