- Pathfinder

Reply To: Did any of the similarities or differences between Christian and Jewish theology surprise you? If so, which/why?

Hannah Straub
Participant

The difference between Christian and Jewish theology that was most surprising in these lectures was the different views on human nature. Jewish thought teaches that humans are good and can strive to follow God while Christianity traditionally ascribes to the depravity of all people. These differences posed thoughts for further study.

I think there may be more in common between Jewish and Christian views of human nature. Both teach that humans are made in the image of God and both teach faith worked out by obedience. But I can’t say for sure without looking into it further.

The differences most fascinating to me though stemmed from the history of Christianity. Hearing the way early Church fathers began melding in Greek and Pagan philosophy made a lot of sense. The Hebraic roots of Christianity were lost as more and more non-Jews joined the church. The question now is: how much of our Hebraic roots should we return to as the modern church?