- Pathfinder

Reply To: Have you been exposed to harmful antisemitic tropes about Jewish control over finances or foreign policy? After participating in this course, how would you go about responding to these tropes if you encounter them?

Jordan Karausky
Participant

I have been exposed to harmful antisemitic tropes like this. Now that I understand the tensions within the Truman administration, for example, I am much more equipped to answer skeptical or hostile challenges winsomely. Truman’s own anxiety to appease his electorate, coupled with pressure from the recently widowed Eleanor Roosevelt in the popular press, were singularly potent motivations for Truman’s decision to provisionally support Israel. This is a powerful objection to the common quibbles and slogans used to support the fiction of monolithic American support for Israel. Additionally, Israel’s need for French and Russian support where America’s was lacking is telling in that space. The course has given me the gift of a few pocketed answers to offer those who find themself convinced of a clandestine coercion or conspiracy.