- Pathfinder

Reply To: Have you ever been told that supporting Israel prevents you from supporting Palestinians? After taking this course, how would you go about responding to false accusations like this?

Evan Crain
Participant

My head is full of childhood notions. Being an adult brings a mix of (in Pathfinder language) struggle, wisdom, and therapeutic self-examination and resolution of ridiculous assumptions. These assumptions, I’ve found and resolved over the years, including a host of theological beliefs and expectations for life, were of no fault of the adults in my childhood, but were childlike interpretations and extrapolations that persisted until finally challenged. For example, I spent several teenage years watching cable media. A ridiculous and unintended consequence is that I have struggled for years to understand conflicts as more than binary – cable media always presents two false choices (whatever political spin from the two parties, which are almost never MECE, mutually exclusive collectively exhaustive). The Israeli / Palestinian conflict is an example of binary false choices. No adult has ever told me to choose between them, but I’ve always assumed this. Learning in this course about the historical roots of Palestine and the factors that designed the modern state of Israel have resolved this ridiculous assumption.