- Pathfinder

Reply To: After taking this course, in your own words, please define Hebraic leadership and what it means to you.

Evan Crain
Participant

The chapters of metanarrative of the Bible, as commonly described, are Creation, Fall, Redemption, Restoration. Hebraic leadership is a “four chapter” framework for those endowed by God the gift and purpose of leadership. Western missiology and many Christian organizations often fall into a “two chapter” trap: they emphasize sin and salvation, particularly personal, but neglect our collective origin and destination. Hebraic leadership, as stated in the course, emphasizes a historical foundation for Christian leaders beginning with remembering the past events shaping today, our roles in the continuation of a linear path, and the path’s ultimate fulfillment in a literal Kingdom.

After stumbling upon the Philos Project through a friend, I’m amazed to find the Pathfinder course expresses my deepest motivations and intentions. I raised myself on hero literature from a Hebraic leader worldview, reading historical fiction of young men who were forced from home by an evil, encountered hardship and yet rose in administrative power in exile, similarly as Joseph and Daniel, returning home eventually to right the original injustice (Byzantium by Lawhead a prime example). Personally, I couldn’t finish college fast enough, getting my piece of paper at 20 so as to get out into the world and learn to lead. 9 years later with a career around the world designed intentionally as a “statesman in training,” I’m shocked to find the Pathfinder course so uniquely expressing, expanding, and progressing a deep felt calling that began in childhood – even encouraging some to pursue statesmanship! I have often felt alone or an oddity because of my intentionality and I am encouraged to find a community of leaders who feel the same calling for their lives, grounded with the support of education and mentors to mature that intentionality.