- Pathfinder

Reply To: Why is it important for Christians to keep the sad history of Christian antisemitism in mind when responding to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict in the present?

Mitchell Schwab
Participant

This discussion reminds me of an interesting discussion I once had with a good friend of mine who is a Messianic Jew. He shared with me the difficulty of becoming the only to become a Christian in his family. He was met with anger, despair, and animosity as Christians were blamed for the holocaust in his family. That is what Christianity meant to his parents. Similarly, he found it difficult when speaking with fellow Christians about Judaism. Most of his Christian friends still blamed the Jews who are now living for being the root cause of Jesus’ death. All this said, the Israeli-Palestinian conflict is complex as is, but many blame Christians for their unfortunate circumstances. Christian antisemitism may be a key reason for Ghandi’s quote: “I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”

We have a difficult past to overcome due to self-proclaimed Christians encouraging atrocities to the Jewish people. However, that is not who we are, and the current Jews are not the same Jews who crucified our Lord. Our response must be delicate and empathetic.