- Pathfinder

Reply To: Why is it important for Christians to keep the sad history of Christian antisemitism in mind when responding to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict in the present?

Janae Robinson
Participant

It is important for Christians to keep the history of antisemitism in mind for a couple reasons. First, as I learned on my trip to Israel with Passages, Jews often do not view the average American Christian as any different from a Crusader or Old European Anti-Semitic Christian that was common before World War II. I was surprised to learn how little I knew of Christian history on my trip when my tour guide explained this to me as we visited Christian sites. As an American raised in a non-denominational church, the only church history I identified with was the 70 years my church has existed. Now, I know that all of Christian history is mine too. Second, Christianity as a whole had a large if not total part in creating the situation where Jews were no longer safe in Europe. To be a Christian means we have to own the good and the bad, even if we loudly condemn the bad and had no part in it. Third, Christianity has to destroy the idea that God has completely turned His back on the Jewish people and they have no place left in society. The Abrahamic covenant includes the Jews, yet this is largely ignored in my experience. Most of the Christians have spoken to that are at retired age or older reject the idea that Israel or the Jewish people should have any meaning to our Christianity. This has always confused me, because Jesus is Jewish and the Old Testament is the Hebrew Bible.