- Pathfinder

Reply To: Have you ever consciously or subconsciously used your faith to examine foreign policy? Was it harmful or helpful? Please elaborate.

Denise DeVatt
Participant

I use my faith every day when discussing or thinking about foreign policy towards all area, not just Israel. This past month I was apart of Passages’ Faith and Foreign Policy Fellowship and it really helped me to utilize my faith in responding to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, specifically. Because I am a Christian, I believe that God loves all people, even those that are calling for the downfall of not only the state of Israel, but the United States as well. I believe that we have a duty to act in a way that shows our understanding of our faith and our love of others because God loves them, and we are supposed to love the people of the world as well. I am still evaluating and deciding some things that I believe but I do know that I was called to love my neighbor as myself, and it is my duty to do that, regardless of anything else.
Going a step further, I believe that we as the United States do have a responsibility to help any and all people that we can, because that is what we have made ourselves known for, and people depend on us. While we aren’t a Christian country, we do say that we were founded on “Judeo-Christian values” and we must uphold those values: liberty and prosperity for all, and we have a duty to protect and defend those values internationally.
I think that using my background and values as a Christian to respond to foreign policy is helpful. It helps me to remember that everybody is human, and everybody is deserving of basic human rights, and “no distinction shall be made on the basis of the political, jurisdictional, or international status of the country or territory to which a person belongs,” as per the UN Declaration of Human Rights.