- Pathfinder

Reply To: Analyze one of the supplementary Bible passages in light of the course content. Do you see evidence of the Hebraic map? Did anything about the passage surprise you? Was there any part of the passage that stuck out to you in particular?

Janae Robinson
Participant

I saw evidence of the Hebraic map in Jeremiah 29:1-14 and Daniel and Esther’s stories. Jeremiah brought the message from God that while in exile, his people needed to work for the good of His Kingdom and where they were in exile. The Hebraic leader must engage the Near East with responsibility. Daniel took responsibility and was thus rewarded with a high position in Babylon. Another example is Esther as she too was rewarded with power by King Xerxes to stop the genocide of the Jews. Both Daniel and Esther embodied the five major components of a Hebraic leader: Deity, Personality, History, Plurality, and Responsibility. What surprised me about the passages is that although I have read them a number of times, studied them in Sunday school, and heard sermons about both Daniel and Esther, I completely missed how they were connect to the passage in Jeremiah. I also missed the importance of what Jeremiah was communicating to God’s people in exile. Jeremiah 29:7, “Also, seek the peace and prosperity of the city to which I have carried you into exile. Pray to the LORD for it, because if it prospers, you too will prosper.” Was the verse that stuck out to me, because I can apply this in my own life. I can be better at praying for the United States and our political leaders. I now have a greater understanding of what the Bible says about civil service, power, and statesmanship.