- Pathfinder

Reply To: Have you ever been told that supporting Israel prevents you from supporting Palestinians? After taking this course, how would you go about responding to false accusations like this?

Jordan Leatherwood
Participant

Coming from a family with different religious and cultural mindsets, this topic can come up, especially at points when Israeli-Palestinian tensions are high. While I have never been explicitly told that supporting Israel means not supporting Palestine or Palestinians, it does seem as though one can “read between the lines”. As Robert said, coming at this from a Christian perspective, it is important for us to own our bias. Of course, with my faith being grounded in the very existence of Hebrew culture, faith, and background, my bias is toward Israel.

In response to the notion that supporting Israel means not supporting Palestine – respond with compassion. Acknowledge the struggles that the Palestinian people have had since 1948. It very much possible for us, and I believe this should be our stance, to support a free and independent Jewish State, while supporting humane treatment and equal protection under the law for the Palestinian people, not only in the Jewish State, but in Gaza and the West Bank, as well. A two-state solution has been and, in my mind, will always be the best option for the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. If nations central to the spreading of Islam around the world including Jordan, Egypt, Sudan, Morrocco, etc, can find peace and normalize relations with Israel, so can the Palestinians.