- Pathfinder

Reply To: Have you ever been told that supporting Israel prevents you from supporting Palestinians? After taking this course, how would you go about responding to false accusations like this?

I have definitely been told that I have to support either Israel or Palestine. Of course, it has not been stated distinctly to me, but has been hinted at or stated subtly. I remember talking to a professor at college, telling her that I could not decide which “side” I was on. She said it would be beneficial to go to Israel and find out for myself. Even afterward, though, she said, I still might not have an answer, which is okay.

Initially, I took her advice specifically about it being “okay” not to know the answer or solution to the problem. After taking this course, I have been challenged to make a decision. As a Christian, I must decide. It is not a decision of whether I “support” Israel or Palestine. It is a decision that I believe the Jews deserve a state where they can be free. But that does not mean I do not support Palestine. I share a special friendship with the Jewish people, but I also believe Palestinians have rights just like every other country. That is what I will respond to false accusations about choosing one side or the other.