- Pathfinder

Reply To: What is one tangible way that you plan to exhibit Hebraic leadership in your own neighborhood after taking this course?

Christina Sturgeon
Participant

Congrats on your journey to DC; I hope you find what you’re looking for. I’ve grown up in and around DC and, while it has a reputation for housing some power-hungry people, I think you’ll also be pleasantly surprised by folks here who strive because of their love of God. It’s such a transient city, but with each new arrival, there’s a breath of something “else” that’s added to the mixing bowl. Some churches in the area do a good job at investing in the community around them, although diving deep within the church congregation is good and necessary, too. I’m always struck by Jeremiah’s words (29:5-7) and its implications. I think we don’t initially plan to “hunker down” when we see we’re in exile; usually it’s a “flee to the next good option…anything is better than this” mentality. But we’re to settle down—to “plant gardens and eat what they produce.” That garden image is sweet; we’re to stick around to see and reap from our hard labor and patience. It’s not about the timing of things, but the quality of things that can/do/will happen within this/these exile period(s).