- Pathfinder

Reply To: In the first lecture, Dr. McDermott teaches that the Bible is one story, and that God upholds his covenant with the Jewish people to this very day. Was this what you were taught growing up? If not, how will this insight change the way you read the bible going forward?

Michaela Todd
Participant

Hi Dan, I enjoyed reading your thoughts on this course. I love that you pointed back to the scripture written in Romans. I, too, was taught growing up that Christians are called to point our relatives through God (the Jewish people) back to Christ, but I couldn’t think of an exact scripture. I like the analogy of Christians being called to create a righteous jealousy within the Jewish people – and people of all other religions. When we live a life walking with Christ beside us and within us, it makes people turn their heads. They begin to ask, why. It’s important for us to not make the mistake of Christians the past and follow our teachings without the Holy Spirit within us, and put ourselves on a pedestal above non-Christians or Jewish people. It’s eye-opening to see the ramifications of Christianity without the Holy Spirit throughout history, and how it contributed to the situation in the Near East. While I am learning about things that make me more informed in foreign policy and international relations, it all circles back to faith. I believe that through this course I’ll gain knowledge that will deepen my relationship and walk with Jesus.