- Pathfinder

Reply To: In the first lecture, Dr. McDermott teaches that the Bible is one story, and that God upholds his covenant with the Jewish people to this very day. Was this what you were taught growing up? If not, how will this insight change the way you read the bible going forward?

Michaela Todd
Participant

Yes, I grew up in a church environment that taught the bible as one story. Although I wasn’t necessarily taught that God upholds his covenant with the Jewish people, I was told that the Jewish people were special, and that Christians should look at them as relatives through Christ. Rather than being told that God kept his covenant with the Jewish people, I learned that God’s covenant expanded it to us through Christ One thing I didn’t learn was the importance of the Holy land Jerusalem to Jewish people, and to us by extension when we join the covenant through Christ. I knew that Jerusalem was special because that’s the setting of the Bible and Jesus’ teachings, but I never thought much about it past that. After I became involved in public policy I learned of the foreign policy and international relations importance of the Near East, which sparked my spiritual interest. Moving forward in my faith journey I believe it the things I’m learning in this course will help me understand who God is, his covenant, and what he is calling me to do even deeper.