- Pathfinder

Reply To: Why is it important for Christians to keep the sad history of Christian antisemitism in mind when responding to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict in the present?

Michaela Todd
Participant

If we as Christian leaders want to move in the Near East and help the people in this area that are hurting, it’s important for us to understand how they see us. I fortunately was raised in a church that did not cast hatred on Jews, but throughout this course I’ve learned of tortured past between Jews and Christians. It has given me a better understanding of Zionism and what it means to Jewish people. If we want to be strong leaders, we need to be informed and have good intel on the land we want to move in. The rich but tragic history of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict was deeply influenced by the mistakes made by Christians, and as Christians ourselves we need to know that they may view us differently because of that. Most importantly, if we as disciples of Christ want to spread his gospel and help people form a relationship with the Savior of the world, we are called to know all his people. By knowing who they are and their past, we can better communicate Christ’s gospel to them and help them know that the awful actions made by Christians were not ones that reflect Christ – they were living out the gospel for their own purposes and without the Holy Spirit in them.