- Pathfinder

Reply To: In the first lecture, Dr. McDermott teaches that the Bible is one story, and that God upholds his covenant with the Jewish people to this very day. Was this what you were taught growing up? If not, how will this insight change the way you read the bible going forward?

Justin Roy
Participant

This is a bit of a trick question for me since my family was not very religious and I only had minimal religious instruction growing up. However, in the spirit of the question and based on the interactions/instruction I had the answer would be no. The relationship of God’s covenant to the Jews in light of Christianity was not really an issue that came up at all, outside of individuals I met using it as justification for the state of Israel. I think Dr. McDermott makes some very interesting and valid points. Although, I sometimes wonder if this is one of those issues which might have an element of divine mystery. On one hand, Jesus did say, “I am the way, the truth, and the light, none come to the father except for me.” On the other hand, God did make a covenant with Abraham and his direct descendants. I am not entirely sure how these come together metaphysically but Dr. McDermott provides some insights into what that might look like. Would be interested in learning more regardless.