- Pathfinder

Reply To: Have you ever been told that supporting Israel prevents you from supporting Palestinians? After taking this course, how would you go about responding to false accusations like this?

Joseph Danaher
Participant

I think that viewpoint was implied by nearly every single person in faith and politics on the Right that I heard from growing up. As an adult thinking about it myself, I found it so bizarre, especially after being educated in the school of thought of Personalism. I also found it bizarre being of Arab ancestry myself, seeing just how much implicit anti-Arab sentiment there was both when it came to talk of Israel and just anything else in the Middle East, like the Iraq War or Syrian refugees. After taking this course, I would go about responding to false accusation like this by saying what they are, exaggerated positions that fail to account for the complexity of reality – a reality that includes the human dignity of both Jews and Palestinians alike. I would say that every human being is created in the image of God and deserves respect, as well as ever human person should have some sort of say in their government. It seems strange that anyone who is a patriotic American could be unsympathetic toward consent of the governed and political self-determination for either Jews or Palestinians. Don’t we as Americans believe that to be the God-given entitlement of every human being in any political society?