- Pathfinder

Reply To: In the first lecture, Dr. McDermott teaches that the Bible is one story, and that God upholds his covenant with the Jewish people to this very day. Was this what you were taught growing up? If not, how will this insight change the way you read the bible going forward?

Joseph Danaher
Participant

I grew up Assemblies of God by parents who had been raised Catholic themselves. I’d say that this I was half taught this, half not. My mother always told me the immense religious significance of the reestablishment of the nation of Israel, and in her views, this was the most pivotal step in our days for end times prophecy fulfillment. She always said that God will bless those who bless Israel and not those who don’t and made reference to the Presidents’ commitment or non-commitment. But on the other hand, I was somewhat taught a light supercessionism in the sense that I was taught a notion more or less saying that the Church and Christians were now God’s kind of like more chosen people with the Jewish people as still chosen but not as much or something like that. I’d definitely say it was not the more full, more biblically-sounding view that Dr. McDermott educated us about.