- Pathfinder

Reply To: Are there elements of ancient and/or modern Near Eastern Christianity that are present in your own church/faith life? If so, what are they? If not, would you be open to implementing any?

Joseph Danaher
Participant

With my grandfather having been born to Syrian immigrants of the Melkite Greek Catholic Church, I have found increasing interest in the rite as an adult, especially now that I am Roman Catholic after being raised Protestant. I try to utilize elements of it in my life with regards to the music. I go on Spotify and search Melkite or Eastern liturgy and like to pray to that. Amusingly, though, I haven’t sorted my liked songs, so when I’m in the car with someone it’ll switch from The Beatles Come Together straight to an Aramaic singing of the Our Father. Also, as a previous aspiring musician, I find the music just far more deep and moving than the vast majority of contemporary Christian worship music. It pierces the soul rather than just having hype, like much of today’s content. It’s got that oomph in it the way that a book of Plato would have in contrast to a sitcom. I also have a couple Eastern icons, which I find to be fascinatingly beautiful and more artistically inspiring than the Western ones, well except for maybe Raphael and Michelangelo. I would potentially be open to being Melkite one day. I thought about it when I was converting to Roman Catholicism, and I still think about it. The mass really makes me feel like I’m glimpsing a shimmer of what heaven is like.