- Pathfinder

Reply To: Did any of the similarities or differences between Christian and Jewish theology surprise you? If so, which/why?

Patrick Bereit
Participant

Through this course, it struck me how both Jews and Christians can generally be divided between traditionalists and modernists. I have seen Orthodox and Hasidic Jews who already from the outside (just how they dress for example) appear quite different compared to progressive Jewish friends I know. There are certainly progressive and traditional Christian denominations and even within my own Catholic Faith (which of course emphasizes tradition and doctrine), I can seen how certain communities prefer traditional or modern liturgies and ways of understanding. Just the fact of realizing how Christians and our Jewish brothers and sisters share this aspect shows a sense of unity! I was thinking if other religions, like Islam and Hinduism, have this same traditional vs. progressive divide and while I think it is present, it doesn’t seem (on the outside) to as greatly effect the way they worship and view the world from each other.