- Pathfinder

Reply To: What are some of the issues with which we, as Christians, can find common ground with Muslims? How can we engage and unite on those issues?

Patrick Bereit
Participant

As this course has taught, although Christianity and Islam come from different cultural traditions and have different perspectives on seeing the world, we share in the Abrahamic family and hold certain values close to our heart. Traditional, more socially conservative values are upheld by both communities. We can unite on issues regarding traditional marriage as we both value the importance of marriage between a man and a woman. As the president of a pro-life club at my university, I found that the vast number of our members and supporters were either devout Christians or Muslims. My Muslim friends and I often talk about the importance of protecting life from conception until natural death. This is an issue that is very much relevant in our nation and age. I’m happy to be alongside Muslim brothers and sisters in striving to create a culture centered on life, family, and faith where all are seen with inherent dignity. Recognizing these shared values and working towards a common goal can certainly assist in bettering Muslim-Christian relations.