- Pathfinder

Reply To: What are 3 tangible ways that you can personally improve your relationships with Christians from other traditions?

Harvest Prude
Participant

I very much appreciate the focus on orthopraxy this question presents. While listening to this course it struck me that one of the most important things I can do to improve my relationships with other Christians from various traditions is to not just learn about them from a safe/cold/intellectual distance, but to be willing to enter into fellowship with them. This could look like going to church services with them and asking questions about various aspects of the service afterwards, or asking them to share stories about what is meaningful to them about their church tradition. I’ve benefited in the past from attending a Shabbat dinner hosted by orthodox Jews and from attending a Catholic Mass with a friend, more so than simply reading about either. But I also realize there are plenty of Christian denominations/traditions (as well as other religions) I haven’t experienced so I think widening my circle to include more religious diversity would also be something that I’d like to incorporate. Lastly, I think I need to be more willing to share about my own background and experiences–topics I sometimes am tempted to stay away from out of the old adage that its impolite to discuss religion/politics.